The performance and effectiveness of your great belt sander are dependent on that how efficiently you have maintained and care about the product. It is a mechanical device and it demands quite a bit of input from your side to ensure its effectiveness in all the projects. If you have purchased a quality belt sander then the job is half done for you. The next phase requires you to maintain and care for it regularly, which is an ongoing process. If not, then your big hardwood projects would be affected big time
The belt sander maintenance tips:
The belt sander maintenance tips might look daunting at a glance, but once you are in the process of maintaining it, then the things would be quite easier and manageable. The following are some useful maintenance tips of the belt sanders.
The following are some useful maintenance tips of the belt sanders which every user must follow:
- Paying due attention to the belts – The belt of the belt sander is actually considered as its backbone. This abrasive belt actually protects the drum of the machine from debris, so it is wise to leave your sander in the on position when it is not in use. However, it is mandatory to loosen up the belt whenever you are looking to step away from the machine. It applies both for a break such as for lunch or even if you are going away for days. It would help maintain its actual form for a longer period of time.
- Use of an air hose – It is highly advised to all the users of the belt sanders to make use of a vacuum air hose in order to blow out all the possible debris and pebbles from the drum of the equipment. It should be ideally done after every job and it will ensure that the product performs smoothly each time you use it. Such a practice would help you use your sander without getting into any troubles or sudden malfunction of it. Because when there are debris or left overs stuck inside the sander or around the belt area, then it would affect the whole process and may not let the sander run smoothly.
- Be very careful about the wheels – Once you are looking to store the equipment, then make sure that the wheels are lifted off the ground as this will help in preventing it from developing any flat spots. The rear casters of the equipment must always be inspected for any debris or pebbles. It doesn’t only affect the performance of the equipment, but the impact could also be seen on your project where the debris collected in the rear casters could damage the finishing of your project. The constant pivoting motion of the belt sander actually result in the wearing of the castors in very flat form and make spinning difficult just as the time goes on.
- Inspecting the plugs – If the plug or the cable of the equipment is not in order, then you are using the product at a very high risk. The improper cable could possibly damage the different components of the motor. In order to address this issue, make sure that you regularly inspect the cord of the equipment for any signs of cut, twist or any other type of wear and tear. This will help you to have a continuous power supply as well as a safe working gadget.
- Inspecting the drive belt – The drive belt is vulnerable to several kinds of issues and damages. You must regularly inspect it for any frays, cracks, twist in it. It should be replaced if the signs of wear and tear are significant and are severe enough to cause damage to the drive belt. It’s crucial to have the drive belt in the perfect form in order to get the sander to work without any hindrances.
All these above mentioned tips can help you maintain your sander in a perfect form and condition. Through consistent and frequent inspection and timely repair and replacement of the damaged parts would definitely help you to have your sander with you in a perfect condition for years.